Estate Search Glossary
Party Type –
- All – searches all party types
- Decedent - a deceased person
- Guardian - "Guardian" means a guardian of an estate appointed by a court under Subtitle 2 of this title to manage the property of a disabled person or minor or a guardian of a person appointed by a court under Subtitle 7 of this title, according to the context in which it is used.
- Interested Party - the person(s) named as personal representative(s) in a will, the person(s) serving as personal representative(s), legatees, heirs (even if the decedent died intestate), trustee(s) of a testamentary trust, and court appointed guardian(s) for minors and disabled adults who are interested persons.
- Minor - A "minor" is a person who has not reached the age of 18.
- Personal Representative - the person appointed to administer the estate (often referred to as executor or administrator).
Estate Type –
- Default All – Searches all estate types
- Regular Estate (RE) - Assets subject to administration in excess of $50,000 ($100,000 if the spouse is the sole legatee or heir).
- Regular Estate Judicial (RJ) - A proceeding conducted by the Orphans' Court when matters cannot be handled administratively. For example, when the validity of the will is at issue, or the will is lost, stolen or damaged.
- Small Estate (SE) - Assets subject to administration valued at $50,000 or less ($100,000 if the spouse is the sole legatee or heir).
- Small Estate Judicial (SJ) - A proceeding conducted by the Orphans' Court when matters cannot be handled administratively. For example, when the validity of the will is at issue, or the will is lost, stolen or damaged.
- Foreign Proceeding (FP) - Decedent domiciled out of state with real property in Maryland.
- Motor Vehicle or Boat Transfer (MV) - Transfer of motor vehicle only.
- Non-Probate (NP) - Property of the decedent which passes by operation of law such as a joint tenancy, tenants by the entireties, or property passing under a deed or trust, revocable or irrevocable. Non-probate property must be reported to the Register of Wills on the Information Report or Application to Fix Inheritance Tax on Non-Probate assets.
- Unprobated Will Only (UN) - Will and Information Report filed with will and/or Application to Fix Inheritance Tax.
- Modified Administration (MA) - A procedure available when the residual legatees consists of the personal representative, spouse; and children. If the Estate is solvent, Final Distribution can occur within 12 months from date of appointment. A verified final report is filed within 10 months from the date of appointment.
- Guardianship Estate (GE) - Guardianship of property for a minor.
- Limited Order (LO) – A limited order allowing for the search of assets in the decedent’s name alone or the will located in a safe deposit box in the name of the decedent.
Estate Status –
- Default All – Searches all Open or Closed Estates
- Open – Estate is still open
- Closed – Estate is closed
- Archived – Estate was opened on or after October 1st, 2014 and has been closed for more than 180 days
- Default All – Searches all 24 jurisdictions
- County/City – Select Individual County or City
Filing Date –
Range from – to – Enter your date range search for beginning date and end date of the period you want to search
Exact Date – Search for the exact date entered
Estate Number – Enter the estate number.
Please Note: In some instances you will need to provide a full 12 (twelve) character estate number. If you have an estate number with less than 12 characters, please provide leading zeros to provide a full 12 character estate number. (Ex: 000000123456, 000000W21001, 000123-12-09)